Monday, August 11, 2008

Lima Beans

I use my mother's recipe for red beans substituting the lima beans for red beans. 

1 one lb. package of dried large lima beans 
1 small onion 
1 smoked ham bone, ham hock or other smoked seasoning meat salt and pepper to taste 

Using a 6 qt crock pot, fill with it to the 1/2 mark with water. Pour in beans. Let soak overnight. Add onion, sliced into four pieces, garlic cloves pealed and left whole, and seasoning meat. Add water until 1 inch below top. Cook for 5 - 6 hours on high. When beans are soft, it is done. To make creamy, take out about 1/2 cup of beans and smash. Add back into the beans and mix around. Salt and pepper to taste. (I do not salt the beans before cooking because the seasoning meat is very salty. It will provide most if not all of the salt.) Serve over long-grain rice with french bread or corn bread.

1 comment:

Manda Panda said...

What a great memory. I love to hear these stories, because Grandma Forsyth died before I was born. I love to picture these sweet moments.