Saturday, July 10, 2010

Pizza on the Grill

We finally got our grill out of storage (because we finally have a beautiful new wooden deck to keep it on). So, I have been grilling quite a bit lately. My family was in the mood for homemade pizza -- which we like a lot. But, it has been so hot and electricity so high, I didn't want to fire the oven up to the 450 degrees needed. I remembered watching someone on Food Network grilling pizza on the outside barbecue. It intrigued me. So I tried it. 

The result was excellent. Here is how I did it. I made a pizza dough using my go-to dough at my link on this blog: http://recipesfromronnie.blogspot.com/2008/07/crispy-bread-dough-for-rosemary-bread.html 

 I separated the dough into five equal pieces. Using two baking sheets, which I coated liberally with olive oil, I stretched the dough to the desired size -- I made oblong pizzas to fit my grill better. I then coated the top of the pizza dough rounds with olive oil. I fired up the grill to the high setting. When the grill was nice and hot (and brushed clean), I put three of the pizza dough rounds on the grill. They instantly began to bubble. I cooked them (with the lid down) until done on the bottom side (about 3-4 minutes). I then flipped them and dressed the browned side with my pizza toppings (this had to be done fast -- I turned the grill down to low while I did this). I then cooked them on low for about 3 - 4 more minutes until the cheese was bubbly. Because my grill is not huge, I had to do the last two pizza rounds separately. The result was excellent. Far closer to a brick oven than a conventional oven because you are cooking over actual fire.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

YUM! Now I really want pizza. What a great idea!